INGREDIENTS [serves 2]
4 Egg Yolks
40 g Parmigiano Reggiano
1 pinch Sea Salt
1 pinch Cracked Black Pepper
160 g Pancetta
260 g Spaghetti (dried)
2 cloves Garlic
1 splash Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a mixing bowl, use a fork to mix egg yolks, finely grated parmesan, and cracked black pepper. Set aside.
- Cut any hard skin off the pancetta. Set aside skin for sautéing later.
- Dice remaining pancetta into ½ centimeter cubes. Set aside.
- Boil large pan of water and add salt. Cook spaghetti in boiling salt water for 7-12 minutes.
- Rub the pancetta skin all over the base of a medium frying pan then place over medium-high heat.
- Crush the garlic clove with the palm of your hand, add it to the pan and leave it to flavour the fat for one minute.
- Stir in the pancetta then cook for 4 minutes or until it starts to crisp up.
- Remove the garlic from the pan.
- Drain and add the spaghetti to the pan.
- Toss the spaghetti, pancetta, and pancetta skin well over the heat so it soaks up the flavour in the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add a splash of chicken stock or the salted pasta-water and toss well. Season with pepper, then pour in the egg mixture – the pan will help to cook the egg gently, rather than scrambling it.
- Serve with a gratin of parmesan and a couple of extra twists of pepper to your liking.